The creative minds behind the KinderCare blog have another great art project to share; combining a little bit of mess with a whole lot of texture. The wonder of this art project is the material; fluffy, puffy paint children can make themselves. Kids love working with 3D “paint,” which gives them a wonderful new texture to create with.
Make a few colors, spoon them into plastic freezer bags and let the squeeze play begin!
- Craft glue
- Shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Plastic freezer bags
- Mix equal parts shaving cream and craft glue in a plastic freezer bag. Add a few drops of food coloring for the desired color. The mixture will be marvelously thick and goopy.
- When done mixing, cut off a corner of the bag, turning the bag into a piping bag.
- Show children how to squeeze the paint out of the bags. (Warning: Kids love squeezing out the paint, so this part can be messy. It might be helpful to cover the work surface with newspaper or do this project outside.)
- Watch the creativity flow!
- Leave the pictures in a safe place to dry overnight. The puff paint will grow slightly and harden as it dries — which leads to great follow-up questions: What happened to the paint? Why do you think it dried? Did it get puffier? Which texture do you like better?
For other great, kid-friendly craft ideas, be sure to visit the KinderCare blog.